Tuesday, October 11, 2011

2 followers and a much needed break!!

Well I have been on Fall Break since Thursday. I had a meeting Thursday afternoon with my mentor. The meeting was about my poor testing performance. Yes, I have been doing horribly on my tests. I am over thinking questions. Really, I am. The mentor went over each test question that missed. Her method was to cover up the correct answer and have me explain the question and my reasoning behind why I chose the way I did. That is how she was able to confer that I was over thinking. She really feels (as I do) I know my stuff. She offered me this advice in learning how to answer questions on nursing exams: ask yourself what will kill the patient first, consider ABC (airway, breathing, circulation), utilize the steps of the nursing process, and consider Maslows hierarchy of needs. So this weekend while on break I have been reading "nursing school test taking success" books. Looking for blogs regarding this and checking out Allnurses.com for help. I feel desperate. Now, I hate to disappoint my two followers in reporting tests bad grades. In the real world the test grades aren't THAT bad! Drumroll: I am teeter-tottering on the borderline right now with a 78% and 80% test average. In NS, you must have a 75% average on all tests in order to pass. Whatever the case is, I have got to get my butt in gear. I have no time to fear failure or actually experience failure.

Fall break has given me an opportunity to breathe a little. I have been catching up on things I normally would not have time for. We have a research paper due November 3rd. The faculty said that we would need at least three weeks to write it. Not this chick! I wrote mine Friday night in a matter of 3 hours. Yep, 4 pages. Now keep in mind it is a very rough, rough draft, but I have the bulk of it done and that is what matters most. I love getting ahead. So I know you all must be wondering the topic for said paper..."nursing implications for the success in gastric bypass patients", or something to that affect!

I have been having some really quirky dreams. Last night I dreamed that my nursing home patient developed a bed sore the day after she was under my care. Her heart rate also dropped to 65 and then 25 and they blamed me for it. Wy all these crazy dreams?

Tomorrow I have an appointment with the plastic surgeon for a panniculectomy consult. Two babies and 90 pound weight did quite a number on the midsection so I would like for im to use a pair of scissors and just cut the crap off. Not that easy. I will keep you all updated. My timeframe is early December for this procedure. I also have no idea the costs involved.

My list of things to do:
1. Post pics with my blog entries.
2. Get ahead instead of getting behind
3. More sleep
4. Need to market myself for more followers. I always feel like I am just typing to myself. No offense, Bay, Judy, and Kelsy!
5. Update my blog more often because after all, this IS my diary and I will regret it one day if I don't.
6. Quit having so many regrets
7. Gain more confidence.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've definitely entered into the realm of Nursing School! Look, I sucked it up on some of my tests too. I even received the dreaded "pink slip" because I failed so bad (73%- in the real world, I'd be thrilled with those scores). It's hard, and sometimes when things get tough, that's when you pull out your best work. Just stay focused and don't let it get you down.
    Now the dreaming thing, this will never stop. Best get used to it. I dreamt the other night my patient stopped breathing and stood there in shock instead of doing anything about it. Dreaming about patients is a never-ending illness, it just shows you care. Care enough to bring it home with you.
    Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete