Friday, September 2, 2011

3 weeks under my belt and first exam!

So I spent the week cramming. Well, not really but I should have! Today I took my first exam for nursing. The class name is Professional Clinical Nursing. It covered infection control, safety, and vital signs. The tests are okay. I wish I could say they were easy but since I did not score 100 I guess it wasn't too easy. They ask you a question, for example,

"if you have a patient that has just received a positive diagnosis for MRSA, what would be your first priority.

A. place him in a semi-private room with a man who has an open wound
B. Place him in a room with a lung cancer patient
C. Place him in a private room with his family at his bedside
D. Put him in a semi-private room and wear a mask when you enter

Seriously? I laughed out loud when I read this question. I thought it was just a hoot! Then there were several other questions that I had the correct answer to but I changed the darned things and got them wrong. I was so peeved with myself!! I have got to quit second guessing myself. I get all screwed up in the end.
So...if anyone out there needs their fecal impactions taken care of, needs a new colostomy bag placed or just needs it cleaned out and swished with water, if you need a Foley catheter placed (male or female), or if you need some nutrition via the nasogastric, nasoduodenal, or nasojestunem tube, I am your woman!!
This has been quite a week! I have learned a bunch of stuff and I still seem to be retaining all of the information. It is coming naturally to me. Next Tuesday I have my first skills check which will include safe entry/safe exit, blood pressure, apical pulse, radial pulse, brachial occlusion, palpating and naming lymph nodes, and also examination and dictation of finding in the oral mucosa. Whew! That sounds like a bunch, right? Well, it really isn't that bad. I get three chances on each of them. Hopefully I will only use one each. I just have to remember to lower that bed and place the call button for Mr. Sim!! That is what everyone seems to miss. When I took my HESI nurse entrance exam, it said I was a kinesthetic learner. I am finding that to be true. I learn by doing.

Anyone want an update on Faux? Well she sat in front of me today for the test. When the score popped up upon her completion, I saw she missed only one and she raised both of her arms in victory as if to say "hooray". Gag. Me. With. A. Spoon.

Have a lovely Labor Day weekend!! I know I won't!!

No comments:

Post a Comment