Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Positive/not so positive clinical day...

Update on first clinical day: started at the nursing home with gait belt training. Aching back, aching feet, aching brain, aching morals. Observational Experiences today: bed bath, wound care for sacral decubitus. Hands on experience: head to toe assessment...

And now for the moral dilemma: a fellow nursing student commenting aloud about how bad a patient's breath smelled. A patient whose upper extremities were contracted, no ROM, oriented x1. It wasn't until after I left and was telling my husband about my day until I realized how wrong what she said was. I told him if I became a whistle blower I would suffer the consequences because it was only me and one other student in there with her. Hubby pointed out that it is the patient who has no voice, and nurses are the advocate/voice for the patient. This same person, when went to another room to observe held her nose, breathed heavily, and grimaced at the smell. I think it was very immature. She wasn't overdoing it or anything but it was definitely noticeable to me...what dO I do??

So earlier that morning our small clinical group of 7 students was divided into 3 groups. Hmm that doesn't divide evenly so there must be an odd man out, right? Well, have I mentioned before that Faux has a group aptly named "Team Awesome"? Well yes she does! And there are about 10-12 of her little puppets in the group. Let me describe the two puppets that are in my clinical group:
Puppet#1-the same girl who made the breath remark, know-it-all attitude, very early 20's, (and maybe even deficient in people skills, but I digress)
Puppet#2-fun loving, witty, all the teachers think she is great, running for our class 2nd VP position, can't think of anything else positive to say...

So today #1 was obviously disgruntled because she got stuck with me and my other classmate I will call J. #1 was standing by us and then #2 said "hey #1, whose group are you in?". She said "I am in their group" pointing to me and J. #2 looked at means then looked back at #1 and rolled her eyes!! How dare she?!? She is also made this lip smacking sound that 5 year olds make when things don't go their way.
Why am I getting all this abuse?? What has Faux said about me and why is this happening? I can't prove it. I feel powerless. So throughout the day #2 was very short with me IF she talked to me at all.

Need advice! Need the right advice! I am beating a dead horse.

:-(

No comments:

Post a Comment