Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Back again!

These blog posts are getting WAY too far and few between!  But, at least I have a few things to ramble on about.

Bullying:  Yes, I am being bullied.  The semester has started and the Bully just cannot help herself.  My husband makes a good point about her though: "Why does she have to say and do mean things to you if she isn't happy in her own life?"  Now, dear husband, this is not the easy-way-out thought that I am looking for because I like to ponder on things.  Men are just way too simple.
~~~A little history on this bully: She called me a "B" in conversation to some other students while I am sitting right there in front of her, in clinical conversation she refuses to speak to me when I speak to her, not he last day of class she stood in front of my desk and said to another student that she hopes I do not make it back next semester because we need some "fresh faces", also in a recorded lecture (which I still have) she raised her hand in class to ask "How can I get one person out of my clinical group that I do not like?". 2012 rolls around and she is interrupting conversations I am having with others and telling them what a HORRIBLE clinical group she had last semester (she did that twice, on two separate occasions), and then on Friday she stands in the parking lot with her arms folded staring me down as I drive past.~~~
Now, I am trying to figure out what makes a person like this tick...and why is she treating me this way?  I feel powerless because short of being a tattle-tale, how do I handle this in a legal, ethical manner with the faculty, and I wonder if I should?

**Dermatologic Update: I went to the dermatologist this past Friday.  He examined me, asked 1,000,001 questions, and in the end had no clue what my condition is.  So, I guess as a troubleshooting method he put me on Doxycycline, which is a Tetracycline antibiotic with some pretty stinky side effects to include nausea, and sensitivity to sunlight.  I have also noticed such symptoms such as a generalized burning feeling in my skin, and chapped lips.  It sucks.  Also prescribed was a topical ointment called gentamycin sulfate.  Not much to report on that one.

Nursing School Update: (Because that is why I am here...)  Today I passed the following skills:
1) IV initiation & insertion
2) IV Piggyback setup
3) Subcutaneous Injection
4) Intramuscular injection
5) IV push medications

The first skill check-off went horrible!  I was just starting an IV!  Putting a needle and catheter in some dummy's arm!  Easy right?  Well, I flubbed!  I started sounding off my 7 Patient Medication Rights and was SO nervous that I could not realize that a simple IV insertion is NOT necessarily a medication.  But I passed.  I set up my Piggyback in a flawless manner and appropriately spouted off my 7 medication rights (Because a Piggyback DOES hold medication!!).  The rest are just history.  I passed them all.

I am ready to start my clinical rotations next week!  Tuesdays and Wednesdays 0630-1330.

3 comments:

  1. I feel so bad that you have to go through that. I totally want to go there and kick her butt for you. But most importantly her lack of professionalism needs to be addressed. It does seem like an all out waste of time for behaviors to be addressed by nursing staff, but it should not be continuing to happen. Makes me so angry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a horrible situation that I am in. It has been going on for way too long. I can't prove any of it. She could outright deny. She is outspoken, witty, and opinionated. People like her, well some people. And she is pretty smart. In our student handbook it states that bullying, sensitivity, etc. will not be tolerated. So, we know she is a bully, but am I just overly sensitive?

    I keep telling myself that when I become a nurse I will have to deal with these types of behaviors from nurses and even doctors. My classmate tells me that this is just the way it is gong to be and I need to learn how to deal with it.

    What ever happened to respect in this world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I really, really dislike people like that! I would definitely report her because that's horrible, and it makes school/clinicals even more stressful than what they should be. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete