Monday, January 23, 2012

Clinical shall begin!


Tomorrow morning at 0630 begins the new clinical rotation for spring semester.  I made it into what I am going to *predict* to be a really great group.  No bullies.  Bully is at a completely different hospital and I am very thankful for that.  So, without further delay...my predictions:
1.  Everyone in my group seems to be very adult.  Not in an adult film sort of way, but in a way that makes them not seem like a bully to the naked eye.
2.  I predict this rotation will prove to be gory.  I will be starting IV's, and may God bless the people who I perform it on. (Seriously, say a prayer for them)  The skin is truly not as tough as it looks on the outside, especially when you have an overzealous nursing student coming at it with a sharp.
3.  My skills need to be brushed up on.  I have forgotten my Head to Toe Assessment, Foley Cath insertion, PEG feedings, etc.  Again, keep these people in your prayers.
4.  My group unanimously voted to work through lunch and get out of clinical at 1330 rather than 1400.  My stomach, or what is left of it, begins speaking to me around 1100.  By 1130, I will be running on stored fat.  Not much left of that!
5.  Most of all, I anticipate the awesome patients that I will encounter.  That is really the best part of this whole nursing thing.  Sitting in class, dealing with drama, and tiptoeing around rigid instructors is nothing compared to actually being with someone in a time of need and having them eager to assist me in learning.

...So no real qualms with starting clinicals.  The nursing home and my experiences there will forever be engrained in my mind and I shall be forever grateful to be in a hospital where hand sanitizer and gloves are available for each and every patient, no matter the cost!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to hear that bully is at a different hospital! There are few things that bother me more than an adult acting worse than a child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go get 'em girl! Helpful hint: pack a granola bar in your scrub top. I get hungry too and sometimes I still have to gnaw on a snack in the bathroom. It's the only time you have to yourself when you're a nurse. Trust me, this will save you!! Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Kelsy! I am looking forward to it. The granola bar is an excellent idea and from what I have heard about med/surg, I will need as many calories as I can pack in! And I hope you are not still in Hawaii! Ugh!! Not nice to blog from paradise!! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good clinical group really seems to help consolidate things. Here's hoping its an awesome semester for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just graduated from nursing school and used this picture as the picture for my graduation party on facebook! It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete