Saturday, November 12, 2011

Sad today

My Grandpa has been in the hospital since Monday.  He went to the ER Sunday night because he was vomiting.  They ran tests to rule out a heart attack.  Things came back normal.  (This is all second hand information from my aunt who has no medical know-how)  So late Monday night he supposedly had a mild heart attack while in the hospital and then by Wednesday had had a severe heart attack.  He is confused and combative.  He is 87 years old.  Feisty.  Opinionated.  Set in his ways.  It is hard to imagine him anything BUT these things.  He is a Veteran.  Served in World War II and the Korean War.  He received 2 Purple Hearts, one of those being at the Battle of Normandy.  He has five children, six grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.
Ansley and Papa Christmas 2004



So the latest news is that they are looking to put him in a VA home where he can receive 24 hour care.  That makes me sad.  How can someone go from feisty and opinionated to confused and combative and dependent upon someone else's care all in the matter of one week?  I hate death.  I hate the thought of it.  I wish, especially after being in the healthcare setting that there was no sickness and death.  It just isn't fair.
Storey and Papa Thanksgiving 2006

I hope this isn't the end for him.  My grandma died in 1998 and it was just absolutely horrible.  I regret that my kids were never able to know her.  She would have absolutely adored them.  When I was little she had these huge freezers in her laundry room.  I would always ask her to pick me up so that I could see inside of them.  Every time she did I would stick my feet in.  That is one of my most favorite memories of her.  Every time she picked me up she knew I was going to stick my feet in and it was always just as funny as it was the first time I did it.  It never got old.

Three Generations - Ansley, Grampy, and Papa
I would spend two weeks with them every summer.  They had a camper and she would make yummy bread in her bread machine and put butter on it while it was still hot.  And boy did she make the best beef stew!  My grandpa would go sit in his truck every morning outside of the camper and listen to Paul Harvey, and then again at lunch time.  Some times, he would let me sit with him and listen just as long as I didn't talk.

I am really hoping for the best for him.  I hope you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment