Friday, November 18, 2011

Updates, New Photos, Random PsychoBabble

So I saw Breaking Dawn last night. I went at the 1201 showing ONLY because I am the BIGGEST Twilight Fan ever. The movie was great. The special effects were overdone and unrealistic. Of course, the books FAR outweigh the movies in quality. With the book you can reread, daydream, and read again. I guess with the movie you could just hit 'rewind', but you get the point. It is going to be a long year waiting for Part II. I personally think it was pretty crappy of them to do it like that, but whatever. I will be there for it.

Emotional Attachment: My last day of clinicals for this semester was Wednesday. I said goodbye to the two patients that I had been caring for and practicing my skills on. I was utterly saddened. I will never see these people again. I wonder, will they ever make it out of the hospital? Both of them seemed destined for demise. But then again, aren't we all? The one with the Trach who could not speak smiled, shed a tear and mouthed "Thank You". The other who I was most concerned with shook my hand and told me I would be a great nurse. Thanks! I really appreciated that and knew that he meant it. He was such a nice man.
It was strange to see people who had been fine one day go downhill the next. I know this is going to be part of the job, I just wasn't quite prepared for it.
Reflecting back on my first day in the nursing home, I felt mortified. I was scared beyond belief to have any contact with patients. Little did I know that less than two months later I would walk away proud of the care I had provided. The learning curves. The mistakes I made that I have learned from and will NEVER forget because of it. The wounds I saw in the beginning don't phase me now. Smells no longer bother me.

Exam: I took my 5th Fundamentals exam Thursday. I passed with an 85!! So exciting. This is the class that I have been most worried about. I now have an exam average of 80 and unless I totally BOMB the final, I will pass the class with a B! As my friend J says, "B's = Degrees"!! I could not agree with her more.

So since Thanksgiving holiday is coming up and I have a little more time on my hands, I have taken a few hours off from studying and being totally nursing-minded. I have looked up recipes for cake pops, I went "shopping" today and was totally overwhelmed and disturbed by the thought of Christmas shopping. I feel that Christmas, like Valentine's Day has totally become a retail holiday. I decided last year that I was going to nip things that I could in the bud. So now, and for every year to come, I make a tray full of goodies for all of my favorite peeps. That is my gift. I put my time and thought into it and I think that is what is most important.




Now for some pics!!

My sweet Ruby at Howl-o-ween Bark Park event

Storey Easter 2011

Ansley's 7th Birthday

Baby Alligator, Panama City, Fl 2011

Hot at the Beach, Panama City, Fl 2011

4 comments:

  1. these are beautiful photos! i am starting nursing next year - and i loved the bit where you said the smells and wounds dont bother you anymore, and how your confidence has risen in 2 months, very helpful words for me. that is my biggest worry - as excited as i am, i'm concerned i'll spend the whole time passing out!
    excellent blog, very helpful :) all the best with your studies!
    karina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Karina and welcome to my blog!! I try to have detailed posts because in the future I want to be able to remember everything!!

    In the clinical setting you just have to get past the initial shock of it all. I have much more to learn but become more confident in my abilities each day. I am preparing for finals now and am very hopeful that I do well. Looking back on the past semester, it is unbelievable how much I have learned.

    Where do you plan on attending school and when do you start? Let me know if you have any questions!!
    ~melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha i see you live in america...i live in australia. so ill be going to a local university :) start in late feb! can not wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Karina! Sorry this is so late! I am intrigued about you living in Australia!! I have wanted to go there my whole life!! I probably never will though, as it is very expensive. Have you been to the US? Do you have a blog? or Facebook?

    ReplyDelete